Tuesday, April 8, 2008

Center for Digital Literacy

The Center for Digital Literacy is located in Berkeley, California and has been in existence since 1994. They are a largely volunteer-supported “community arts center” and their focus is “education, community building and social change.” They have worked on projects with other organizations both in and out of the U.S., including the BBC, Digital Clubhouse Network, and Australian Centre for the Moving Image. A list with more information about these projects can be found on their Case Studies page. They also offer workshops in multiple locations, including one specifically aimed at K-12 teachers. Besides that sort of information, their website has a wealth of information about digital storytelling, as well as many different examples of it.

4 comments:

Jennifer said...

Hi Christy,
I was surprised to see that they offer a certificate program for Digital Storytelling. Thanks for the links.
Jennifer

Brooke said...

Christy,

They offer interesting workshops. Developing the K-12 teacher workshop was a great step, as it can be hard to transition from using somebody else's equipment and software to trying to set it up for use back in your school, with the students.

Brooke

Anonymous said...

I love workshops! Yes, call me a dork but that's my idea of a great time - learning something new. And these workshops fall into my realm of interests as lately I've been fascinated by the concept of storytelling and how are entire world directly and indirectly is consumed with "telling stories."
Everything is a story: Movies, Books, Magazines, Television, Advertising, Talking & Sharing, etc...

Christy said...

I also think it's great that they offer workshops, especially for teachers who want to use digital storytelling in their classroom lessons. I wish I lived closer to Berkeley or one of the other locations where they offer them in person!