Saturday, April 26, 2008

Books about digital storytelling

As I was researching digital storytelling, I noticed that a lot of the results that my database searches yielded were book reviews. Below is a list of several of the books that I found, most of which deal with using it in the classroom. Each listing has a link to that books page on Amazon.com.


Courtney, M. (2007). Library 2.0 and beyond: Innovative technologies and tomorrow's user. Westport: Libraries Unlimited.


Howell, D.D. & Howell, D.K. (2003). Digital storytelling: Creating an estory. Linworth Publishing.


Miller, C.H. (2004). Digital storytelling: A creator's guide to interactive entertainment. Focal Press.


Ohler, J. (2007). Digital storytelling in the classroom: New media pathways to literacy, learning, and creativity. Corwin Press.


Porter, B. (2005). DigiTales: The art of telling digital stories. Bjpconsulting.


Standley, M. & Ormiston, M. (2003). Digital storytelling with Powerpoint. Visions Technology in Education.


Teehan, K. (2006). Digital storytelling: In and out of the classroom. Lulu.com.


*** As I was looking up the books on digital storytelling on Amazon.com, I also stumbled across this book from the ALA about being a new school library media specialist. It looks interesting, so I listed it here in case you’d like to take a look!


Toor, R. (2006). New on the job: A school library media specialist's guide to success. American Library Association.


2 comments:

Brooke said...

Christy,

Thank you for finding all these books on digital storytelling. Their descriptions add to my excitement as I visualize helping teachers utilize this method of teaching. As stated in the description of "Digital Storytelling: Creating an estory", by Dusti D. Howell and Deanne K. Howell , using the estory also provides a demonstration of the students' learning. The publisher's description of this book pointed out another advantage: It gives the teacher an alternative form of teaching, if they have gotten bored by helping students write the same old research paper or book report.

Thank you, also, for the link to “New on the job: A school library media specialist’s guide to success” by R. Toor. It looks so helpful that I ordered it!

Reading your blog entries has been fun, interesting and informative. Thank you for providing all this helpful information. I hope to “see” you again!

:)
Brooke

Jennifer said...

Christy,
Wow--what a list. That must have taken a little while to compile. Thanks also for the "New on the job" link. That might be a title that I'll have to take a look at when I finish this program and enter the real world again. Thanks for all the digital storytelling links.
Jennifer