This past week, we learned about podcasting in class. Of course I have heard of it before, but I was never really sure of what exactly it was. Now, my understanding of podcasts is that they are basically just audio or video content that can be downloaded to your ipod/mp3 player and be listened to anytime.
Since I am quite new to the idea of podcasting, several of the websites that we were assigned to look at (particularly the “weekend project” from CNET) seemed very advanced for me! At this point in time, I think I will concentrate on learning more about what podcasting can do for me; that is, I want to find interesting podcasts to listen to myself and see what I think about it then.
So from that limited perspective, podcasting seems like a great idea, except for one thing --- cost. I would love to listen to particular radio broadcasts, for example, whenever I felt like it. If I could download the podcasts for free (and they were on subjects I was interested in) that would be great! But I highly doubt I would pay for them. I will have to do more research to find out if I am interested in any of the free podcasts. This is partly because I’m cheap, but also partly because I wouldn’t really have a way to listen to them. It would be great and convenient to have podcasts and audio books and that sort of thing on my ipod for when I’m driving around in the car, especially on long trips. However, the handy-dandy little gadget that I bought to allow me to do just that is worthless to me. The content on my ipod plays through the FM radio channels in my car, which I think is very inconvenient. Sometimes it is okay for driving around town, but it is not really necessary because when I am driving around in town, I am usually driving in the car for only a short time. The time that this would be really helpful is when I am going on a trip or driving for at least two or three hours. This gadget is impractical for that, however, because I have to constantly switch channels to find a free station so the ipod content can come through. After several close calls, I have come to the conclusion that that is too dangerous!
I would be a podcast convert and I might even be willing to pay for them if someone would tell me how I can listen to the content on my ipod through my car speakers, rather than through an FM station. Any suggestions?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
Christy
I can be of no help for your ipod problem. I never bought the handy dandy device so I could listen to my ipod while driving partly because I don't tend to drive longer than a few hours and partly because somewhere I had heard that they didn't work on VW cars (which I drive). I do download free podcasts (I'm too cheap to pay for podcasts) all the time to listen to while I exercise. Hope that someone else has a fix for your ipod problem.
Jennifer
I also don't own an iPod, and don't really have a reason to, nor the free time to listen. But, I recently applied for a job that if I got it, would leave me with an hour long commute. (Yes, this job would be soooo worth it).
And so, my plan is to purchase an iPod if I'm lucky enough to get this job. At then figure out how to operate it. Actually, I would probably ask for help from my teenager.
Christy,
I thought I'd responded to you, but don't see it here. So, I'll say, again, that I'd really like to listen to my iPod in the car, but don't have an iPod-type player in there. I hesitate to listen to my iPod in the car with earphones, as it makes me feel unsafe- that I perhaps would not be able to hear things that might be necessary, such as a car honking at me, warning of an imminent crash.
I don't have a clue about your iPod/car listening problem. It sounds complicated. I'd suggest you call your local audio stores. There's bound to be a Techie there that knows all about it.
Brooke
Thanks for your ideas ladies! It seems like such a sensible thing, to be able to just plug your ipod in somewhere in the car and have the sound come out of the speakers. I just don't understand the necessity of the FM connection. But then again, I am decidedly UN-technical, so I really have no idea!:)
I also don't use my headphones in the car, Brooke. It seems very dangerous and much easier to zone out.
Post a Comment